I’m so excited to be back with another #AKskincare edit for you. I’ve had a passion for skincare for as long as I can remember and I absolutely LOVE sharing my favorite brands and products with all of you. Today is all about facial oils!
For years, many readers have asked me about my skincare routine and what I do to get such glowy skin. ✨ While I don’t believe in one magic solution, I practice a few things that I think make a big difference:
1) Hydrate yourself (duh). Water is essential to maintaining skin that’s soft and supple. Tip: I love drinking water with a proper ph level for your body. The optimal water is 9.5. You can buy ph strips and test your tap or filtered water at home to see where yours is at. Drink a full BIG glass of water every two hours during the day. Set a timer on your phone and make it happen.
2) Wear minimal makeup. If you find that your skin is acting up, or if you generally have a lot of acne, rethink your makeup. It’s probably one of the biggest things to change, but keeping clean skin helps it keep clear. And if you can clear up your skin, you likely won’t need to wear as much makeup anyway. Even after a week of wearing makeup every other day, I notice that my skin will get little bumps and I’ll develop a few zits. I realize that wearing makeup is normal for most women, so I suggest leaving it off during the weekends or any downtime you have. The more time your skin has to breathe, the better!
3) Food matters. Be sure to eat foods that are high in antioxidants and healthy fats. That doesn’t mean you can’t ever have pizza, but it does mean that choosing a diet higher in plant based foods and veggies yields amazing results. You only have one body so treat is as best you can. And don’t forget to take a multivitamin, probiotic and fish oil.
4) Cut the alcohol (and possibly dairy). I love a good cocktail, but if you have skin issues (and dealing with them matter to you), then I suggest trying to cut back on alcohol for a week or two and see if helps. You might also need to do the same for dairy, as it can cause issues in some women. I personally love yogurt and butter (but rarely ever eat cheese or dairy milk).
5) Develop a skincare routine. I started getting into skincare products at a young age. By no means are all of the products I own natural, but I do the best I can and I’m trying to move more that way. I also try to purchase mostly inexpensive or accessible products, but do splurge here and there.
How to use facial oils
If you’re new to facial oils, welcome! They’re such an amazing way to boost your skin’s hydration, brightness and even out skin tone. You’ll want to apply them AFTER you apply your moisturizer to really help hydrate your skin and achieve a soft healthy glow. You can also combine them with your serum or moisturizer, but I prefer to do a Vitamin C serum first, followed by a daily or night moisturizer and then a facial oil.
When to apply face oils
If you have dry skin, feel free to apply in the morning under your makeup and at night before bed. If your skin is pretty well hydrated, I suggest only applying at night. You may use different oils for both morning and night but it just depends on what you are looking to achieve.
How much oil do I need to use?
You really only need a few drops of oil to achieve the results you’re looking for. I suggest 6 drops max, but you may need less depending on how rich the oil is.
1. CEO Glow by Sunday Riley: non-greasy, perfect for wearing under makeup and includes vitamin C to help with hyperpigmentation that women can experience during pregnancy. In fact, this was my go-to during pregnancy!
2. Pure Radiance by True Botanicals: I mostly use this one at night because it’s a little heavier, but the mix of oils is LOVELY. Yes, this is expensive but well worth it because a little goes along way. Perfect for those with aging skin or dry skin.
3. Hibiscus Correcting Oil by Volition: I use this 1x per day and mix in with my other oils or moisturizers. It’s amazing for hyperpigmentation and I LOVE how it soaks right into my skin. This is one you can use under makeup as it is a dry oil. use code ‘AMBITIOUS20’ for 20% off at volitionbeauty.com
4. Marula Oil by Drunk Elephant: the oils of all facial oils. This ultra hydrating facial oil has been a favorite of mine for years, and while expensive, I think it’s 100% worth it. I LOVE using this one at night because it’s rich and luxurious.
5. Rosehip Seed Oil: rosehip oil helps with imperfections, fine lines and dark spots that can randomly show up during pregnancy (and beyond). In my opinion this is a must have oil and SO inexpensive! Also, it’s amazing to mix in with other moisturizers because it tends to be a drier face oil, meaning it absorbs into the skin very well. LOVE LOVE LOVE ROSEHIP!
6. Aphrodite Facial Oil: another one of my obsessions. This face oil is a blend of rosehip, seabuckthorn, chia, jojoba and camellia. It’s a wonderful oil to use at night because of how thick and rich it is.
7. Ann Marie Anti Aging Oil: this is my mama’s FAVORITE facial oil. She’s a little over 60 and says this works wonders for her beautiful skin. It’s pricey but well worth it! I love how it smells, too.
8. Biossance Squalane + Vitamin C Rose Oil: here’s another new to me oil that I’ve been loving! This makes my skin so incredibly soft and I really believe it would be a great oil for just about any type of skin.
9. Peach and Lily Pure Beam Oil: this oil is LOVELY if you have combination skin or acne prone skin. A little truly does go a long way! Absorbs really well without leaving your skin greasy.
10. Emerald Deep Moisture Glow: this is one of Abra’s favorite facial oils because it helped ease her skin’s prone to redness. It’s lightweight and non-greasy, so she was able to use the perfect amount to achieve hydration. Great for dry sensitive skin!