This colourful and healthy quiche is just what you need to pep up those frosty days.
Beets are an amazing winter vegetable. They’re hearty, they keep well through the long winter months, and they offer a welcome blast of colour when the weather outside feels endlessly grey. Featuring both red and yellow beets, this tart might even be bright enough to convince you it’s the middle of summer while you’re eating it.
(Related: Spice Up Your Brunch With Chilaquiles)
Healthy Quiche Recipe: Beet and Feta Quiche
- 2 medium yellow beets 2 medium red beets
- ½ batch Savoury Pie dough
- 1½ cups (375 mL) crumbled feta cheese, divided
- 1 cup (250 mL) heavy (35%) cream
- ½ cup (125 mL) whole (3.25%) milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon (2 mL) ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon (1 mL) fresh cracked black pepper
- microgreens, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Wrap each beet in aluminum foil and place them directly on the rack in the oven. Bake for 75 minutes, or until the beets are tender when pierced with a knife. Let cool to room temperature. Using a clean kitchen rag, rub the skins off the beets and discard. Cut the beets into ¼-inch (5 mm) slices and set aside. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F (180°C).
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll the Savoury Pie Dough into a 14-inch (35 cm) Roll the dough around the rolling pin and unroll it over a 9-inch (23 cm) tart pan with a removable bottom. Gently press the dough into the bottom and sides of the pan and remove any excess dough with a paring knife. Transfer to the fridge to chill for at least 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup (250 mL) of the feta, the cream, milk, eggs, thyme, salt, cumin, and pepper.
- Arrange the beets in a ring in the bottom of the tart pan so that one beet overlaps the next by about half and the colours Pour the egg mixture on top. Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup (125 mL) of feta overtop. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the filling is set and jiggles only slightly when you move the pan. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with microgreens, if desired.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Before serving leftovers, reheat in a 350°F (180°C) oven for 10 minutes.
Excerpted from Earth to Table Bakes by Bettina Schormann and Erin Schiestel. Copyright © 2021 Bettina Schormann and Erin Schiestel. Photography © 2021 Maya Visnyei Photography. Published by Penguin Canada, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.
Next: 15 Tasty Egg Recipes for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner