If you have an air fryer, grilled cheese sandwiches are the perfect easy lunch!! Crisp on the outside with melty cheese inside.
I love all of the awesome things I can cook in my air fryer from chicken breasts to Brussels sprouts. This air fryer grilled cheese tops the list for me for sure.
Why I Love It So Much
Making a grilled cheese sandwich isn’t difficult but it’s even easier in the air fryer.
- It’s easy to make 4 sandwiches at once (I have a Cosori XL 5.8qt).
- They brown perfectly on both sides (and are not greasy).
- I find them to be the perfect amount of crisp with melty cheese.
- Super easy cleanup with just a wipe to the basket.
Make the classic pairing of grilled cheese and our delicious homemade fresh tomato soup, and a side of colorful fruit kabobs.
BREAD Any bread will do from sandwich bread to leftover French bread. Use what you have on hand.
BUTTER Lightly butter the bread with real butter. I love to add a tiny pinch of garlic powder to the outside of the bread but it’s optional.
CHEESE Sharp cheddar has great flavor but don’t stop there, add whatever is in your fridge. Brie, cream cheese, pepper jack, anything goes!
I often add a couple of slices of thick real cheddar and a single slice of processed cheese for great texture.
How to Make a Grilled Cheese in the Air Fryer
- Butter each slice of bread. Place the bread butter side down in the air fryer basket.
- Add cheese to each piece of bread and top with another piece of buttered bread (butter side out). Sprinkle with garlic powder if desired.
- Cook 4 to 6 minutes, or until the sandwiches are crisp & golden brown.
- Keep the leftover sandwiches in a covered container in the refrigerator for about 2 days. The best way to reheat grilled cheese sandwiches is to re-toast them in the air fryer for a couple of minutes.
- Cube leftover sandwiches, toast in the oven, and make them into cheesy croutons for tomato soup!
Grilled Cheese Variations
Did you love these Air Fried Grilled Cheese Sandwiches? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
Cheesy and golden brown, these air fryer grilled cheese sandwiches are so easy to make for lunch, dinner, or a snack!
Preheat air fryer to 350°F.
Butter one side of each slice of bread. Place cheese in the middle, keeping the butter on the outside of the bread.
Sprinkle the bread with garlic powder if using and place in the air fryer.
Cook 4-6 minutes or until golden on the outside and melted inside.
Swap out the cheddar for any cheese you have on hand.
Add in your favorites. Bacon, tomato slices, jalapenos, the possibilities are endless.
Calories: 481, Carbohydrates: 29g, Protein: 20g, Fat: 32g, Saturated Fat: 20g, Trans Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 90mg, Sodium: 743mg, Potassium: 165mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 4g, Vitamin A: 919IU, Vitamin C: 1mg, Calcium: 490mg, Iron: 2mg
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
Keyword Air Fryer Grilled Cheese, best Air Fryer Grilled Cheese recipe, Grilled Cheese, how to make Air Fryer Grilled Cheese