Get ready to elevate your side dish game with our delectable Cheesy Corn Casserole recipe. This dish combines the convenience of a quick and easy preparation with a burst of flavors that will leave your taste buds dancing.
Why This Will Be Your New Favorite Side Dish
- Creamy and savory. A rich combination of whole kernel corn, cream-style corn, sour cream, and melted butter creates a creamy and savory base.
- Comforting and satisfying. It’s the ultimate comfort food, perfect for family gatherings, holidays, or any cozy meal.
- Easy preparation. Simple to make with minimal effort, making it a go-to side dish for busy cooks.
What Is The Difference Between Corn Casserole And Cornbread?
Cornbread is a baked bread with a firm texture and can be savory or sweet, while corn casserole is a moist, custard-like side dish made with cornbread mix, whole corn kernels, and cream-style corn.
They both use cornmeal or cornbread mix as a base but result in different textures and flavors. Cornbread is more like a traditional bread, while corn casserole is a rich and creamy side dish.
Why Is My Corn Casserole Soupy?
The most common reason for a soupy corn casserole is an incorrect ratio of wet to dry ingredients. If you added too much liquid, such as sour cream, milk, or eggs, it can make the casserole too runny. Ensure that you follow the recipe’s measurements accurately.
Undercooking the casserole can also lead to a soupy consistency. Make sure to bake it for the full recommended time or until it’s set and the top is golden brown. The center should not appear jiggly or liquidy.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Canned Whole Kernel Corn- The whole kernel corn adds a sweet and slightly crunchy texture to the casserole. It provides bursts of corn flavor and visual appeal.
- Canned Cream-Style Corn- Cream-style corn adds creaminess and moisture to the casserole. It acts as a binding agent, helping to hold the dish together while infusing it with a sweet and creamy corn flavor.
- Sour Cream- Sour cream adds a rich and tangy flavor to the casserole. It contributes to the creaminess of the dish while balancing the sweetness of the corn.
- Unsalted Butter- Melted butter enhances the flavor and richness of the casserole. It also helps provide moisture and aids in achieving a tender and moist cornbread texture on top.
- Cornbread Mix- The cornbread mix is the primary dry ingredient that, when combined with the other wet ingredients, forms the cornbread topping for the casserole. It gives the dish its classic cornbread flavor and a slightly crisp texture on top.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese- Cheddar cheese adds a savory and cheesy element to the casserole. It melts into the mixture, providing gooey pockets of cheesy goodness throughout the dish.
- Salt- Salt is essential for enhancing the overall flavor of the casserole. It balances the sweetness and adds depth to the taste.
- Black Pepper- Black pepper contributes a subtle hint of spiciness and complexity to the dish. It complements the sweetness of the corn and cheese.
- Parsley- Fresh parsley is used as a garnish to add a pop of color and a touch of freshness to the finished casserole.
Together, these ingredients create a harmonious blend of sweet and savory flavors, creamy and moist textures, and a golden, cheesy cornbread topping that makes Cheesy Cornbread Casserole a delightful and comforting side dish.
How To Make Cheesy Corn Casserole
- Preheat and Prep. Begin by preheating your oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish for that perfect casserole shape.
- Mix the Goodness. In a large bowl, combine the drained whole kernel corn, cream-style corn, sour cream, melted butter, cornbread mix, shredded cheddar cheese, salt, and black pepper. Stir this delightful mixture until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Casserole Creation. Pour this creamy corn mixture into your prepared baking dish, spreading it evenly to ensure every bite is as delicious as the last.
- Bake to Perfection. Slide your casserole into the preheated oven and let it bake for approximately 45 to 50 minutes or until it’s golden brown and slightly set in the center. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out mostly clean.
- Garnish and Serve. Once your Cheesy Corn Casserole is out of the oven, sprinkle it with freshly chopped parsley for a burst of color and added freshness. Then, slice it into squares and serve warm.
Tips And Tricks
Creating the perfect Cheesy Corn Casserole is a breeze, but a few tips and tricks can ensure it turns out fabulous every time:
- Variation Options. Feel free to customize your casserole by adding ingredients like diced jalapeños for a spicy kick, crispy bacon bits for extra indulgence, or even a dash of hot sauce for some zing.
- Texture Check. To guarantee your casserole has the ideal texture, aim for it to be slightly jiggly in the center when you remove it from the oven. It will continue to set as it cools.
- Make Ahead. This casserole can be prepared in advance and baked when needed. Simply assemble it, cover with plastic wrap or aluminum foil, and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Bake as directed when ready to serve.
Cheesy corn casserole is a versatile dish that you can customize to your liking. Here are some variations and additions to consider to change up the flavor and texture of your casserole:
- Spicy Cheesy Corn Casserole– Add some heat to your casserole by including diced jalapeños or green chilies. You can use canned, pickled, or fresh jalapeños, depending on your preference. Adjust the amount to your desired level of spiciness.
- Bacon and Cheddar– Crispy bacon bits and extra shredded cheddar cheese take this casserole to the next level. Simply cook some bacon until crispy, crumble it, and fold it into the corn mixture before baking. You can also sprinkle additional cheddar cheese on top.
- Herb and Garlic Corn Casserole– Elevate the flavor by adding fresh or dried herbs like chopped parsley, chives, or thyme. A touch of minced garlic or garlic powder can also enhance the taste.
- Caramelized Onions– Sautéed caramelized onions add sweetness and depth of flavor to your casserole. Cook thinly sliced onions in butter until they become golden brown and sweet, then mix them into the corn mixture.
What To Serve With Cheesy Corn Casserole
Cheesy Corn Casserole is incredibly versatile and pairs beautifully with a variety of dishes. Here are some mouthwatering options:
- BBQ Delights– Serve it alongside grilled chicken, pulled pork, or smoked ribs for a classic barbecue feast.
- Holiday Feast– Elevate your holiday spread by including this casserole alongside turkey, ham, or roast beef.
- Meatless Marvel– Turn it into a satisfying vegetarian meal by pairing it with a crisp green salad or roasted vegetables.
How Long Does It Last?
Allow the leftover casserole to cool to room temperature before refrigerating it. Cover it tightly with plastic wrap, or aluminum foil, or transfer it to an airtight container.
Cheesy Corn Casserole can be safely stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 to 4 days.
Can You Freeze It?
If you anticipate having leftovers but won’t be able to consume them within a few days, consider freezing portions of the casserole. Properly packaged, frozen Cheesy Corn Casserole can last for 2 to 3 months in the freezer.
More Savory Side Dishes
Now that you’re armed with this delightful Cheesy Corn Casserole recipe, it’s time to share this irresistible side dish with your loved ones. Whether it’s a family dinner, holiday gathering, or casual weeknight meal, this casserole is the perfect addition to any menu.
Cheesy Corn Casserole | Corn Casserole Recipe
- 30 oz Canned Corn
- 15 oz Cream Style Corn
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter melted
- 8.5 oz Cornbread Mix
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- Parsley for garnish
Preheat and Prep. Begin by preheating your oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish for that perfect casserole shape.
Mix the Goodness. In a large bowl, combine the drained whole kernel corn, cream-style corn, sour cream, melted butter, cornbread mix, shredded cheddar cheese, salt, and black pepper. Stir this delightful mixture until all ingredients are well incorporated.
Casserole Creation. Pour this creamy corn mixture into your prepared baking dish, spreading it evenly to ensure every bite is as delicious as the last.
Bake to Perfection. Slide your casserole into the preheated oven and let it bake for approximately 45 to 50 minutes or until it’s golden brown and slightly set in the center. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out mostly clean.
Garnish and Serve. Once your Cheesy Corn Casserole is out of the oven, sprinkle it with freshly chopped parsley for a burst of color and added freshness. Then, slice it into squares and serve warm.