FREE: 5 SECRETS TO FAST HEALTHY DINNERS
GET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
There is a lot to love about this queso dip recipe. It’s flavorful (so many ways to eat it!), it’s made in the slow cooker, and perhaps best of all? (Naturally keto) Crock Pot queso dip is made with just three (!!) ingredients, which take all of 2 minutes to throw together! It’s the perfect appetizer for game days, potlucks, holiday parties, or — let’s be real — just any simple Taco Tuesday.
I was originally inspired to make this dip when we had a potluck at work over the holidays several years ago. Someone brought a yummy, warm slow cooker queso dip in a miniature Crock Pot. I’m not sure exactly what was in the dip, but right away it sparked two ideas. First, I had to get my hands on one of those little mini slow cookers. And second, I wanted to experiment with how to make queso dip in the Crock Pot, so I could share my own version. So, here it is — and it couldn’t be easier!
What Is Queso?
Queso dip is a Mexican style cheese dip made from warm, melted cheeses that are cooked together into a dip-able sauce. Some varieties include vegetables or chorizo, and some just have a little spice. You may have had it at your favorite Mexican restaurant.
This queso dip in a Crock Pot is made with salsa that gives it a little spice and a lot of flavor to the cheese — it’s the perfect blend!
Why You’ll Love This Crock Pot Queso Recipe
- Cheesy taste with a bit of spice
- Creamy and dip-able
- Made with just 3 basic ingredients
- Just 2 minutes to prep
- The slow cooker will do all the work!
- Naturally low carb and gluten-free with no fillers
Queso Dip Ingredients & Variations
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for homemade queso dip, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
This easy queso recipe has just 3 ingredients: shredded cheese, cream cheese, and salsa! Here are some customization ideas…
- Pick your cheese. I chose Monterey Jack cheese to match the other Mexican flavors in the dip, but Colby Jack, pepper jack, queso blanco, or cheddar cheese would be great alternatives. Any semi-soft or semi-hard cheese that melts well is fine. Lots of people love to use velveeta or white American cheese, but I prefer to use a less processed cheese.
- Pick your salsa. Any salsa you like will work. I used a jar of salsa verde, but have also made it with homemade tomato salsa or tomatillo avocado salsa, too. You can even use a can of green chilis or Rotel if you like, which is similar to a Rotel dip.
INGREDIENT TIP: I recommend salsa that isn’t too chunky, since queso dip is usually on the smoother side. But if you prefer your dip to be chunky, why not? You could also puree it in a blender at the end to get it extra smooth. (I didn’t puree mine, so the tiny chunks in the pictures are from the salsa.)
Other things you can add:
- Aromatics – Diced onions or mixed garlic work great, but I prefer to saute them before adding. You can also choose an easier route by adding onion powder and garlic powder instead.
- Diced tomatoes – You can use canned (drain first) or fresh.
- Green chiles – Canned green chiles can work instead of the salsa. Drain first.
- Ground beef – Make it a meaty dip by adding beef! Cook it on the stovetop first, before adding to the slow cooker with the other ingredients.
- Spices – Ground cumin, paprika, or chili powder work well here.
For the veggie ingredients (aromatics, tomatoes, chiles), you could puree them first if you want a smoother cheese dip, or leave them diced for texture.
How To Make Queso Dip In A Crock Pot
This section shows how to make Crock Pot queso dip, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique. For full instructions, see the recipe card below.
Are you ready to see how easy the best Crock Pot queso is to make?! TWO MINUTES and TWO STEPS!
- Mix ingredients. Mix together cream cheese, salsa verde, and shredded Monterey jack cheese together in the slow cooker.
- Slow cook. Cook this Crock Pot cheese dip recipe on Low for 2 1/2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes to get rid of any lumps.
How To Make Queso Dip On The Stove
If you want to make this easy queso dip recipe on the stove, you can easily do so! Simply set up a double boiler over low heat and stir frequently as cheese melts. Serve immediately.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is queso dip spicy?
Slow cooker queso can be spicy, but the heat level is totally up to you. I used mild salsa verde, so along with all of the cheese, it’s got a little kick and a lot of flavor, but it’s not spicy! Just use a salsa that fits your desired spice level.
INGREDIENT TIP: If you want to add more spice on top of the salsa, you can always add in a few dashes of hot sauce, cayenne pepper, chili powder, or jalapeño pepper slices.
Is queso keto?
Yes, queso dip with cream cheese is naturally low carb and keto friendly! Just make sure the queso you enjoy has no added starches or fillers (this one doesn’t!) and that whatever you dip in it isn’t high in carbs. This particular queso recipe contains just 2 grams carbs per 1/4 cup serving.
Can you use a full-size slow cooker?
Yes, you can, but you’d need to increase the recipe yield by 2-4 times, so that it’s not too empty. You can adjust the number of servings on the recipe card below to achieve this.
Feel free to make this keto queso dip ahead of time! It takes about 2 1/2 hours to cook and melt in the slow cooker, so it’s easy to start the queso dip in a Crock Pot and then have it ready for a party or get-together a few hours later.
How long is queso dip good for?
You can make the dip up to 3-5 days ahead and store it in the refrigerator until ready to serve, then reheat gently. But given that it literally takes 2 minutes to throw together, just make it a few hours before you need it!
Can you freeze queso dip?
I would not recommend freezing queso dip recipes. Dairy does not freeze and thaw well — the consistency changes — so it’s best to eat it within a few days. And honestly? I don’t think that will be a problem!
Reheat queso in the slow cooker on the warm setting. The microwave or stovetop is also fine if needed.
What To Serve With Queso Dip
There are so many different things that you can serve with your Crock Pot cheese dip. You can obviously keep things simple and serve up your slow cooker queso dip with a variety of veggies, chips or crackers, or use it as an easy way to majorly upgrade tacos or some of these Mexican favorites:
- Raw Veggies – My favorites are mini bell peppers and celery. They make scooping so easy!
- Tortilla Chips – The most classic pairing! Make my almond flour tortilla chips for a healthier grain-free option.
- Crock Pot Taco Casserole – This easy Crock Pot queso will majorly upgrade this taco casserole, which is made in a full-sized slow cooker instead of a mini one, so you can make both at the same time.
- Tacos – Queso is delicious over any taco recipe (check my guide to low carb tacos for ideas!) Chipotle copycat barbacoa is one of my favorite taco fillings to pair with queso.
- Cauliflower Nachos – These nachos do already have cheese, so you can skip the shredded cheese and drizzle this over the top, OR use both for some majorly cheesy nachos.
More Easy Mexican Recipes
If you like this queso cheese dip recipe, you might enjoy some of these other easy Mexican recipes:
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Crock Pot Queso Dip Recipe (3 Ingredients)
This easy homemade queso dip recipe needs just 3 ingredients + 2 minutes prep! See how to make Crock Pot queso dip that’s creamy, cheesy, and always a hit.
Prep Time 2 minutes
Cook Time 2 hours
Total Time 2 hours 2 minutes
Tap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Mix all ingredients together in a mini slow cooker.
Cook on Low for 2 1/2 hours, stirring and whisking every 30 minutes to get rid of any lumps.
Optional: If you want even smoother dip, you can puree it in a blender at the end.
Return to the slow cooker on the warm setting to keep the dip warm.
Serving size: 1/4 cup
Video Showing How To Make Queso Dip:
Tap here to jump to the video for this recipe — it’s located directly above the ingredients list. It’s the easiest way to learn how to make Queso Dip!
Amount per serving. Serving size in recipe notes above.
Total Carbs 2g
Net Carbs 2g
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!
Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂