Stuffed cabbage rolls (malfouf or mahshi malfouf) cabbage leaves stuffed with ground meat, rice, spices, and cooked in a lemony garlicky sauce.
Cabbage: 4 kg
Water to boil cabbage
Salt: 2 tbsp
Cumin: 1 tbsp
Short grain rice: 3 cups / soaked 1/2 hour
Turmeric: 1/2 teaspoon
Vegetable oil: 1/2 cup
Minced meat: 500 gr
Salt: 1 tablespoon
Cumin: 1 teaspoon
Black pepper: 1 teaspoon
Allspice (Seven Spice Mix): 1 teaspoon
Preparing the pot (pot):
Salt: 1 1/2 tablespoon
Cumin: 1 teaspoon
Garlic (to taste)
Chicken broth powder: a sachet of 20 grams
Lemon juice: 1 small cup
Mashed garlic: 5 cloves
Dry mint: 1 teaspoon
1. In a deep saucepan, put a generous amount of water, bring to a boil over a strong heat. Add salt and cumin and stir a little.
2. Using a knife, remove the neck of the cabbage head, put the cabbage in the water and let it boil vigorously for about 3 minutes. Flip it on the other side and bring to a boil for another 3 minutes.
3. Using a fork or knife, carefully remove the tip of a leaf of cabbage so that it separates softly from the head. Leave it for a few seconds in boiling water until it becomes soft. Take it out. Repeat this step by gradually separating the leaves from the head of the cabbage.
4. Note: Any leaf that is not soft should be put back in hot water.
5. Let the boiled leaves cool a little. Using scissors or a knife, remove the cabbage stems.
6. Cut the large cabbage leaves into smaller pieces (approximately 8-10 cm) to make the rolling process easy.
7. Preparing the stuffing: In a plate, put the rice, turmeric, vegetable oil, ground meat, salt, cumin, black pepper, and allspice (seven spice mix). Mix the ingredients well with hand.
8. Take a leaf of cabbage, put a little stuffing on the tip, then roll it well.
9. In a large saucepan, add a layer of cabbage stems with some salt and cumin. Put some garlic cloves, then lineup the stuffed rolls carefully. Sprinkle about 1 1/2 tablespoon of salt, 1 tsp of cumin, and chicken stock powder over the cabbage rolls.
10. Place a piece of clay or a heavy plate on top of the cabbage.
11.- Pour hot water over cabbage. Cover the bowl. Let it stand for an hour and a half on medium heat, until it is cooked. Pour lemon juice and crushed garlic and sprinkle with dried mint.
12. Cover the saucepan and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
13. Serve on a large plate and garnish with lemon and garlic. Bon appetite.