This gluten-free apple crisp with almond flour is so simple and perfect for fall. If you love baked apples and cinnamon, you’ll love this healthy apple crisp recipe! The crumble topping couldn’t be easier and it’s made with no oats, grains, dairy, or refined sugar so it’s paleo, too.
Fall apples are perfect for baking apple crisps! This crisp uses the same method as my peach blueberry crisp, for a super easy fruit crisp with almond flour and pecans instead of the traditional oatmeal crumble.
Best of all this easy gluten-free apple crisp recipe takes less than 10 ingredients.
This post includes some affiliate links for your convenience. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
Here’s what you’ll need
This healthy apple crisp recipe takes just a few simple ingredients to make. Here’s what you’ll need for the filling:
- Apples – you can use any apple to make this, but there are certain varieties that are better for baking. Granny Smith is the classic for pies and crisps. Also try Honeycrisp, Jonagold, and Braeburn for baking.
- Lemon juice – just a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice brightens the filling.
- Cinnamon or pie spice – you can use either in the apple filling. I like to use my homemade pie spice, which is mostly cinnamon with a bit of ginger, nutmeg, and allspice.
- Coconut sugar – just a little bit of coconut sugar gives the filling a hint of caramel apple flavor.
And just five ingredients make the gluten-free topping quick and easy:
- Almond flour – be sure to use superfine blanched almond flour for the crumble topping.
- Pecans – chopped pecan give the crumble top it’s texture and buttery flavor.
- Coconut oil – in place of butter.
- Honey – or maple syrup for vegan.
- Sea salt – to bring out the sweetness.
Putting it together
The hardest part about making this apple crisp is peeling and chopping the apples. I know some people leave the skins on the apples for a more rustic apple crisp—I’m not one of those people. I always peel the apples, I think the crisp turns out much better this way.
Once the apples are prepped, it’s just a matter of tossing the ingredients together and baking. You can bake it in a cast iron skillet or deep-dish pie pan.
Serve your apple crisp up with your favorite ice cream (here are some dairy-free ice cream options) and enjoy the flavors of fall!