September is National Honey Month, so we’ve been trying recipes that use honey in unusual ways.
Here’s what we had for brunch today: scrambled eggs on a waffle with garlic-infused honey (photo #1).
The garlic-infused honey was a big hit. The pungent, spicy flavor of garlic mellows and sweetens considerably with cooking (like oven-roasted garlic).
It’s what can be called an open-face sandwich—tartine in French—with the waffle substituting for toast.
The recipe was created by Chef Jenny Dorsey for the National Honey Board, which has lots of recipes for honey fans.
The recipe includes ingredients for gluten-free waffles, but you can use your regular waffle recipe or mix. Just add a tablespoon of wildflower honey (photo #2) to the batter.
> Honey Glossary: THe Different Types Of Honey
> The History Of Honey
RECIPE: SCRAMBLED EGGS ON A WAFFLE WITH GARLIC-INFUSED HONEY
Ingredients For 4 Servings
For The Gluten-Free Waffles
For The Garlic-Infused Honey
For The Scrambled Eggs & Sautéed Vegetables
 Today’s brunch: scrambled eggs on a waffle with a garlic honey drizzle (photo © National Honey Board).
 Wildflower honey from Savannah Bee, our favorite honey producer and source for honey gifts (photo © Savannah Bee).
 Garlic-infused honey is an eye opener: sweet and (photo © Tijana Drndarski | Unsplash).
1. INFUSE the honey. Combine the cumin, garlic and 1/2 cup honey in a pot over medium heat. Bring to boil, then lower the heat to the lowest level possible for 1 hour, allowing the mixture to infuse.
2. MIX together all waffle ingredients in a large mixing bowl until smooth. Working in batches, cook four waffles total using a waffle maker. When the waffles are cooked to the desired level of doneness, remove and set to the side.
3. MAKE the scrambled eggs. Whisk together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper until smooth in a bowl, approximately 1 minute. Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in small, nonstick frying pan over medium heat until slick and shiny. Add the eggs to the pan and scramble over medium-low heat, stirring continuously, approximately 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and set to the side, splitting into 2 portions.
4. HEAT 1/2 tablespoon oil (1.5 teaspoons) in a medium frying pan over medium heat, until slick and shiny. Add the onion and the balsamic vinegar. Sauté 2-3 minutes, stirring, so the onions begin to caramelize. Add the bell pepper and jalapeño, with dash of salt. Sauté 3-5 minutes or until the onion is translucent. Remove from heat and split into 2 portions.
5. ASSEMBLE the waffle sandwich from bottom to top: waffle, arugula, onion/bell pepper mixture, scrambled eggs. Drizzle with the infused honey. Slice in half to serve.