Like I’ve mentioned a few times before, my mom is an excellent cook. She’s always texting me videos of what she’s creating and crafting in the kitchen. A few months ago, she sent me a video of her homemade chicken burritos. They were filled with green chile, bell peppers, potatoes, recaito, salsa and cheese; as soon as I took one look I knew I was going to have to recreate them for both myself and the blog.
Tony and I made a big batch one afternoon and couldn’t stop devouring them the rest of the week because they were FABULOUS. They keep perfectly in the fridge, and we even froze a few so that we could pull them out for an easy lunch or dinner. I hope you get a chance to make them, and if you do, don’t forget to leave a comment and rate the recipe!
Ingredients in these healthy chicken burritos
For this green chile chicken burrito recipe you’ll find a recaito sauce, chicken, deliciously spiced potatoes and plenty of yummy add-ins. Here’s what you’ll need:
- For the recaito: garlic, yellow onion, red and green bell peppers, cilantro, jalapeño and diced green chiles. More notes on what recaito is below!
- For the chicken: lean ground chicken (or ground turkey works too), cumin, salt & pepper.
- For the potatoes: gold potatoes and garlic powder.
- Delicious add-ins: your favorite salsa or enchilada sauce (my homemade enchilada sauce recipe would be perfect in here!) plus your favorite shredded cheese.
- Burrito-sized tortillas: feel free to use corn tortillas, flour tortillas, whole wheat or gluten free.
What is recaito?
Recaito, also known as sofrito, is a traditional Puerto Rican cooking base used in tons of different recipes like soups, stews and rice dishes. It’s typically a combination of herbs like culantro, garlic, green pepper and occasionally fresh tomatoes, but in this green chile chicken burrito recipe my mom and I make it with garlic, onion, green and red bell pepper, cilantro, jalapeño and green chiles. SO SO GOOD.
Tips for making burritos
- Use slightly warm tortillas. This makes them much easier to roll so that they don’t split or break. You can warm them up for 10-20 seconds in the microwave before assembling.
- Don’t overfill. Be sure to evenly distribute the chicken mixture, potatoes and just about 3 tablespoons of shredded cheese onto each tortilla.
- Do the “tuck & roll.” The ultimate trick for rolling up burritos! Just remember to tuck the ends in, then roll up your burrito.
How to freeze homemade chicken burritos
To freeze: simply wrap each burrito individually in plastic wrap, then in foil and place in the freezer. Burritos will stay good in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To reheat: remove your chicken burrito from the foil and plastic wrap and microwave until warmed, about 2-3 minutes. That’s it!
See how to make chicken burritos:
I hope you love these healthy, freezer friendly green chile chicken burritos as much as we did! If you make it, be sure to leave a comment below and rate the recipe. xo!
Freezer Friendly Green Chile Chicken Burritos
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
Absolutely delicious freezer friendly green chile chicken burritos loaded with veggies, protein, perfectly spiced potatoes and a dash of salsa and cheese. Make the filling for this easy chicken burrito recipe in just one skillet and freeze the extra burritos to enjoy quick, filling dinners for weeks to come!
- For the recaito mixture:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup very finely diced yellow onion
- ½ cup very finely diced green bell pepper
- ½ cup very finely diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup very finely diced cilantro
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can diced green chiles
- For the chicken:
- 1 pound lean ground chicken (or turkey) 93%
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- For the potatoes:
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ½ cups diced gold potatoes (½ inch diced)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup your favorite salsa or enchilada sauce
- 1 ½ cup shredded Mexican blend cheese (or any kind of shredded cheese you’d like)
- For the burritos:
- 8 burrito size tortillas (regular, whole wheat or gluten free)
First make the recaito mixture: add olive oil to a large skillet or pot and place over medium heat. Add in garlic, diced onion, diced green and red bell pepper, cilantro, jalapeno and diced green chiles. Saute for 5 minutes or until onions and peppers become tender.
Next add in ground chicken to the same skillet and break apart the meat. The recaito mixture will naturally mix in with the chicken and that’s what we want! Sprinkle with cumin and salt and pepper and cook until chicken is fully cooked and no longer pink. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and set aside.
In the same skillet or pot, add in another tablespoon of olive oil, diced potatoes, garlic powder and salt and pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until potatoes are browned and tender. You may need to cover the potatoes with a lid and/or add a tablespoon of water to prevent them from burning. Once potatoes are done you can remove from heat and set aside.
To assemble burritos, make sure you have slightly warm tortillas; it makes them easier to roll. You can warm them up for 10-20 seconds in the microwave before assembling. Lay out warm tortillas and evenly distribute chicken mixture and potatoes and about 3 tablespoons shredded cheese onto each tortilla. Next drizzle about a tablespoon of enchilada sauce or salsa in each. Tuck ends in, then roll up burritos.
To warm up: Place on a baking sheet in the oven at 350 degrees F for 5-10 minutes or simply microwave them for a minute or two. If you like to get them a little crispy on the outside, drizzle olive oil in a skillet and place over medium heat. Place burritos seam side down for a few minutes until they are golden brown, then flip and brown on final side. Serve with greek yogurt, salsa, avocado or hot sauce. Makes 8 burritos. Freezer instructions are in the notes.
These burritos are freezer-friendly. Simply wrap each burrito individually in plastic wrap, then in foil and place in the freezer. To reheat, remove foil and plastic wrap and microwave until warmed, about 2-3 minutes.
Servings: 8 servings
Serving size: 1 burrito (with add-ins + 1 regular, burrito-sized tortilla)
Saturated fat: 6.9g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by: Eat Love Eats
If you like this recipe you might also like
Mama’s Chickpeas in Sofrito with Arroz con Gandules
Amazing Easy Turkey Tacos (with a slow cooker option!)
Healthy Enchilada Chicken & Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers
Mama’s Puerto Rican Chicken and Rice (Arroz con Pollo)
Skinny Refried Bean & Chicken Enchiladas with Homemade Enchilada Sauce