We’re so excited to highlight amazing small businesses this holiday season! Shop small and get ready to share some incredible stories. We chose a variety of Chicago-based, women & BIPOC-owned businesses that are making waves in their industries by creating and/or curating beautiful, unique products, and even giving back to the community.
You’ll find everything from gorgeous handmade ceramics to cruelty-free nail polish that makes a statement. These gifts are great for parents, friends, new homeowners, partners, and really everyone in-between. Be sure to head to each company’s website to learn more about how each maker got started and to follow their journies.
Remember to check out all of our amazing gift guides here!
- Cellar Door Preserves: Small batch jams and cocktail fruits made in Grand Rapids, MI by Cellar Door Artisan Preserves. Lower sugar, vegan, gluten free and made without high fructose corn syrup.
- Brightland Olive Oil: Brightland bottles cold-pressed extra virgin olive oils made with olives grown on a family-run California farm. This high-quality olive oil is amazing in warm cooked dishes, raw salads, on toast and so much more.
- African Woven Baskets by Amsha Studios: Amsha’s mission is to create jobs and economic independence for artisans in Africa. These stunning hand-woven baskets come in dozens of designs and can be used on coffee tables and as decorative wall accents.
- Kindly Collected: my dear friend Sabriah, who designed my current kitchen, started an amazing online shop with a fellow interior designer featuring curated home products and decor to make your home a little more beautiful. You’ll find pottery, frames, tableware, and more that make perfect gifts!
- The Bitter Ex Cocktail Bitters: Complex flavors come in small packages from Chicago-based The Bitter Ex! These bitters are perfect for cocktail lovers. Buy a single bottle or gift a whole set.
- Mecalma Candles: Chicago-based Mecalma hand pours these candles using local and sustainably sourced ingredients and no palm oil or parabens. These environmentally conscious candles are beautifully packaged and smell absolutely heavenly!
- Seedlings Notebook Set: The prettiest notebooks for making lists, drawing and journaling, made by a family-owned small business. Packaged in biodegradable seed paper that can be planted to sprout wildflowers!
- Wild Botanicals Body & Skincare: Wild Botanicals makes natural small-batch products for skin, bath and body. Browse their gift sets for all kinds of products that bring the spa to your home. Lots of ideas for new mamas & babies included!
- Hands Catchall by Made by Rheal: These handmade concrete hands hold jewelry, spare change or trinkets. At just 3 inches in diameter, they’ll fit perfectly in any home.
- Handmade Mug from SQ Drinkware Boutique: Cozy up with your favorite warm drink and this handmade artisan mug. Choose beige or black, and add on a coaster and gold spoon if you’re feelin’ fancy!
- And Studio Chicago Prints & Gifts: Chicago-based print shop And Studio makes gorgeous modern prints for every room. Whether they like neutral or a pop of color, there’s a print for them in this collection.
- Ground Up PDX Tasting Flight: Portland-based nut butter company Ground Up provides job opportunities to womxn overcoming adversity. Their nut butters are DIVINE and this trio is the perfect way to try three flavors (and give back to the community)! Use the code ‘ak15’ for 15% off.
- Omsom Seasoning Set: Omsom’s mission is to bring proud, loud Asian flavors to your kitchen. This seasoning set is perfect for anyone looking to add some zest to their cooking!
- Seltzer Goods Puzzles: Woman-owned Seltzer Goods from Asheville, North Carolina makes joyful puzzles and games for all ages. The perfect colorful winter activity!
- Taupe Coat nail Polish: Vegan, non-toxic & eco-friendly nail polish company Taupe Coat donates a portion of proceeds to different charities each quarter. They’re also a 100% woman-owned and Black-owned business.
- Detroit Rose Candles: These hand-crafted candles smell SO GOOD and add a beautifully minimal touch to your mantel, coffee table or nightstand. Detroit Rose uses additive-free soy wax and premium fragrance oils.
- Ambitious Home Rugs & Art: Browse our collection of vintage rugs and art, hand-curated by myself and my husband Tony! Our mission is to bring one-of-a-kind pieces — that reflect the beauty and hard work of the hands that created them — to your home.
- The Sunday Standard Discovery Set: The Sunday Standard makes natural, non-toxic skincare with respect for health and the health of the planet. This Discovery Set includes a cleansing balm, two face oils and a vitamin C-infused mask.
- GLDN x Layered and Long Jewelry: Jewelry made with love in Washington state. Customize these dainty rings — which come in gold, silver or rose gold — with the initial of your name or loved one.
- Orange Beautiful Typography: Gift these stickers, cards, tote bags & more to your spunky friend that’s all about the positive vibes. So many fun ones to choose from in this shop!
- Taylor’d to All Jewelry: Taylor’d Creations is a nonprofit jewelry maker committed to making a change by raising money for organizations advocating for racial equality. Handcrafted clay earrings that are super cute AND make a difference? Yes, please.
- OOM Ceramics: Stunning modern ceramics from an independent maker. Find pitchers, planters, vases, bowls and so much more in this beautifully crafted collection.
- Big Heart Teas: Women-owned Big Heart Tea sources their organic tea directly from farmers and wraps it up in the cutest plastic-free packaging. Option to include a custom message!
- Olive Oil Bottle from Linda Renee Pottery: These pretty olive oil bottles are handmade in Ohio by a female potter. Choose from beautiful neutral colors that suit your recipient’s style best!
- Marleys Monsters UNpaper towels: UNPaper Towels, handmade in Oregon by small business Marley’s Monsters. These eco-friendly reusable towels replace disposable paper towels. Just wash them and stack, fold or roll them up. Great for families with children!