This year we wanted to highlight small, women-owned and BIPOC-owned businesses that are making some amazing products for the perfect holiday gifts. With the holidays comes a huge opportunity to amplify and highlight these businesses that might otherwise be overlooked in the current age of Amazon.
In this gift guide you’ll find nourishing skincare products, beautiful jewelry, wine (!!), candles and more for everyone on your list. Be sure to head to the brand websites to learn more about the company and their founders — many of them give back to the community and are making waves in their industries.
Take a scroll, pick out some favorites for family and friends, and enjoy! Head to our shop for even more ideas.
- The Heart Department: Tanalee from The Heart Department makes gorgeous, handcrafted wooden displays that are perfect for your home or office. Hang calendars, invites and more with these displays.
- Lunchskins: Kristen Quigley started Lunchskins back in 2008 when she noticed how frequently she was tossing lunch & snack bags. These stylish, reusable bags are not only super cute but also great for the planet and give back to different causes like the Oceanic Preservation Society. Perfect stocking stuffers!
- McBride Sisters Wines: Robin and Andréa McBride have been shaking up the wine industry since 2005. They currently champion the largest Black-owned wine company in the U.S. and make their incredible wines with sustainable practices. Give the gift of a bottle (or a few) to your girlfriends, sisters or mom!
- Aged & Infused Cocktail Infusion Kit: Aged & Infused is a Chicago-based small business that makes amazing craft cocktail infusion kits. Jess and John run the business born out of their love for cocktails. Share a drink with a friend or loved one and check out their recipes here!
- City Girl Coffee Co: Minnesota-based City Girl Coffee is a sustainable coffee company started by Alyza Bohbot, who’s bringing awareness and equality to women in the coffee industry. Gift a bag and a mug of this ethically sourced coffee and give back to small, women-owned farms and co-ops around the world.
- rayo & honey: Roachele, the founder of rayo & honey, makes handcrafted totes, mirrors, pennants and wearable art with affirming and inspiring messages. Show someone love with a “You Got This,” “Life Every Voice,” or “Black Lives Matter” hand-stitched pennant!
- Estelle Colored Glass: these beautiful, hand-blown colored glass stemware and cake stands were inspired by founder Stephanie Summerson Hall’s grandmother – who loved antiquing and hosting. The collections come in gorgeous jewel tones & pastels and would be an amazing gift for moms and even newlyweds for their new home.
- Square Root Nutnola: my good friend Ellie of Hungry by Nature started Square Root after she was diagnosed with Celiac disease. She makes the absolute best grain & grain free “nutnola” and “nutnola butter” made just with nuts and dried fruit! Such a great stocking stuffer snack or gift for foodies. I’m OBSESSED with the chocolate cherry flavor.
- Brilliant or BS Trivia Card Game: Kimelia Weathers Smith created “Brilliant or BS?” from her love of hosting game nights. It has 88 trivia questions and is perfect for getting the squad together (virtually) and playing for hours.
- Goodnight Darling Self Care Products: Goodnight Darling has amazing bath soaks, candles and teas created to help promote restful, stress-free sleep. In a culture of #TeamNoSleep and endless to-do lists, they’re bringing back the sleep you deserve! Such great gifts for friends, co-workers and family members.
- Taylor Made Earrings: I recently discovered Taylor’d Creations – an incredible Chicago-based company run by Taylor Smith. She makes gorgeous earrings all by hand that each have a unique design and donates 100% of proceeds to organizations fighting for racial equality. Right now proceeds are going to Digs with Dignity – who help to furnish homes for people transitioning out of homelessness. Grab a pair for your girlfriends, mom and sister!
- Brightland Co. Olive Oils & Vinegars: Brightland Co. was founded by Aishwarya Iyer, who wanted to change up the oil & vinegar scene with sustainable, honest food production. The products are super high quality and straight from the earth (instead of a lab). A wonderful gift for all the foodies on your list.
- AllSwell “The Deck” Creativity Prompt Cards: Laura Rubin started AllSwell with the idea of unleashing “Creativity unplugged.” With these sustainable journals and cards, you can let your creative brain takeover, judgment-free, and have fun reconnecting with yourself. Grab a journal or deck for a friend and one for yourself!
- Rose & Co. Candlemaker: this incredible candle company was founded by a Black 13-year-old girl named Rose, who started making homemade candles that accommodated her dad’s allergies. They come in some amazing scents (and names) that make the perfect gift for everyone on your list.
- Beauty Bakerie Makeup: Beauty Bakerie is a Black, woman-owned and operated, cruelty-free makeup brand founded by Cashmere Nicole. Their mission is to “Be sweet and sweeten the lives of others” by empowering men and women to feel both beautiful and powerful. All of the makeup is absolutely gorgeous and has fun takes on baking and sweets – perfect for your girlfriends and beauty lovers on your list! The company give back through Sugar Homes by donating funds and supplies to orphanages across the globe.
- Books from Semicolon Bookstore: books make some of the best gifts for friends and families. This year buy yours online or in-person from Black & woman-owned bookstores like Semicolon! The store is right here in Chicago but has an amazing selection that you can buy and ship nationwide.
- Taylor Jay Cotton Face Masks: Taylor Jay is a Black, woman-owned business focused on inclusion and sustainability. The brand has amazing, elevated basics designed for comfort and versatility, plus a whole collection of sustainable cotton face masks that make great gifts!
- Cuyana Leather Bags: Cuyana was founded by Karla Gallardo and Shilpa Shah who wanted to create a global design house that focused on fewer, better and higher-quality products. These are ones that are sustainably made to last a lifetime. The leather totes and minimalist apparel are gorgeous and would be great gifts for moms and loved ones.
- Ground Up PDX: one of my favorite women-owned and operated nut butter companies! The nut butters are all peanut free with amazing flavors like Cinnamon Snickerdoodle, Coconut Cardamom and more. Ground Up PDX gives back to women overcoming adversity in the Portland area by providing them with job training so that they can get back on their feet. Use the code ‘ak15’ for 15% off your order.
- OUI The People: Karen Young, the founder of OUI The People set out to smash beauty standards through thoughtful design and incredibly crafted shave kits. The company says it best: “You’ve never fit into one box. Neither have we. We’re here to honor your complexities — to say ‘f*ck that’ to perfection…The only labels we care about list our ingredients — everything else is just noise.” They make amazing steel razors, soothing body gloss and more that would be a super thoughtful gift of self care for loved ones!
- Lingua Nigra Jewelry: handcrafted, organic, natural jewelry from Black & woman-owned Lingua Nigra right here in Chicago! Alicia Goodwin makes sculptural earrings, bracelets and necklaces that would make a wonderful gift for any ladies on your list.
- NZURI Body Essentials: mother-daughter duo, Adrienne Hughes-Jackson and Brittany Hughes set out to create super nourishing skincare products with all natural ingredients. They have amazing moisturizers, body mists, polishes and more that come in scents like Citrus Mimosa and Vanilla Lavender. The perfect gifts for your mom, grandma, bestie or sister!
- Splash Cocktail Mixers: founded by Hilary Pereira, Splash makes all natural cocktail mixers that are simple to use and so delicious. Gift a few flavors like mojito, cosmopolitan and margarita to friends and have a virtual happy hour together! The company frequently partners with different charitable organizations — this spring they donated 10% of all sales to Core Gives, a foundation dedicated to supporting the children of restaurant and bar service workers, and the United States Bartenders Guild.