They’re back. The most delicious healthy peanut butter cookies that taste like a peanut butter cup and peanut butter cookie dough had a baby. Plus, they just so happen to be grain free, gluten free, dairy free, naturally sweetened and made in one bowl. BOOM!
I made these grain free peanut butter cookies back in 2020 and they became instant AK classic. I mean, these cookies are just RIDICULOUSLY GOOD and filled with peanut butter flavor. I love that they’re thick, fudgy and doughy in the middle with a chewy texture. You’re going to fall in love, I promise.
Bake up a batch or two and feel free to freeze some for later so that you can enjoy them for weeks and even months! If you’re a PB lover like I am, you’re gonna want to keep these babies on hand at all times.
Looking for more tips & tricks for making the best cookies ever? Download our FREE printable Ultimate Guide to Cookie Baking and use it time and time again whenever the cookie cravings hit!
Ingredients in grain free peanut butter cookies
The great thing about these delicious grain free & gluten free healthy peanut butter cookies is that they’re naturally sweetened and only need a bit of oil for the perfect amount of moisture. They’re puffy, slightly soft & chewy and absolutely delicious without any dairy or gluten. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Natural creamy peanut butter: make sure the peanut butter you use is nice and drippy and has just peanuts + salt as the ingredients. I love using Wild Friends creamy peanut butter — use the code ‘AMBITIOUS15’ for 15% off your order!
- Coconut oil: you’ll just need a bit of coconut oil to add moisture to your cookies to get the doughy middle. You can also use melted butter or melted vegan butter if you prefer.
- Coconut sugar: naturally sweeten these peanut butter cookies with coconut sugar. Brown sugar will also work but I love how coconut sugar gives these a hint of caramel flavor.
- Egg: you’ll only need one egg for these cookies. I have not tested them with a flax egg but let me know if you give it a try.
- Vanilla extract: for delicious flavor. Learn how to make your own with this tutorial!
- Almond flour & coconut flour: we’re using a mix of almond flour and coconut flour to keep these peanut butter cookies grain and gluten free. They also give the cookies a boost of healthy fats! Be sure to use a fine, blanched almond flour (not almond meal).
- Baking staples: don’t forget the baking soda and salt!
- Dark chocolate: feel free to chop up your favorite, 2.5 oz dark chocolate bar, or dark chocolate chips (dairy free or vegan if desired!)
- Optional: Fancy Maldon salt (or sea salt), for sprinkling on top.
How to make these gluten free peanut butter cookies
The best part about this easy healthy peanut butter cookie recipe is that it can be made using one bowl and just about 30 minutes.
- Prep your pan. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix the wet ingredients. Mix together the peanut butter, melted and cooled coconut oil, coconut sugar, egg and vanilla extract until well combined, smooth and creamy.
- Add the dry. Next, add in the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda and salt; stir with a wooden spoon until well combined. Fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Scoop & bake. Use a cookie scoop to drop dough onto the prepared baking sheet, placing dough 2 inches apart. Bake for 9-12 minutes.
- Top, cool & enjoy! As soon as cookies come out of the oven, sprinkle them with a little sea salt. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before moving them to a wire rack to finish cooling. Then devour!
Tips for making & customizing
As always, the best way to ensure that these healthy peanut butter cookies turn out amazing is to follow the recipe exactly. Here are some tips for making them perfect every time:
- Do not use substitutes. Almond flour should not be replaced with any other flour, nor should you attempt to replace the coconut flour. These healthy peanut butter cookies are perfect as-is!
- Pack your almond flour. You can pack the almond flour just like you would with brown sugar. It makes all the difference! Do NOT pack your coconut flour though.
- Use a room temperature egg. This will ensure that the coconut oil does not coagulate and cause the cookie dough to be super lumpy. Just place your egg in a bowl of warm water for a few minutes, or run warm water over the egg for a minute to bring it to room temp.
- Add our favorite mix-ins. I love these grain free peanut butter cookies with chocolate chunks or chips, but feel free to omit, add chopped walnuts, M&M’s/chocolate candies or do a chocolate drizzle instead. Or if you’re feeling really adventurous, chop up a few peanut butter cups and fold it into the batter for pb cup cookies. YUM.
What makes these peanut butter cookies healthy?
Traditional peanut butter cookies, while delicious, are usually baked with butter and refined sugars. We’re making these peanut butter cookies healthier by:
- Using all natural peanut butter and just a bit of coconut oil for moisture. This makes them dairy free.
- Baking with almond and coconut flour to make them grain free, gluten free and packed with healthy fats.
- Also keeping them low carb with the almond & coconut flour blend, rather than using oats.
How to store & freeze these healthy peanut butter cookies
Feel free to keep these cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for 1-2 days, then transfer them to the fridge or freezer. Learn exactly how to freeze the cookie dough or the baked peanut butter cookies using this tutorial!
More grain free treats you’ll love
Get all of our amazing grain free desserts here!
I hope you love these healthy, grain free peanut butter cookies as much as we do. If you make them, be sure to leave a comment and rate the recipe below! We appreciate you. xo.
Grain Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Decadent grain free healthy peanut butter cookies made in one bowl in under 30 minutes. These incredible dairy free and gluten free peanut butter cookies are packed with healthy fats from natural peanut butter, made with almond flour and coconut flour, and are the perfect treat for kids and adults! Ready in less than 20 minutes.
- Wet ingredients:
- 1/2 cup natural creamy peanut butter (just peanuts and salt as the ingredients)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons melted and cooled coconut oil (or sub melted butter or melted vegan butter)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dry ingredients:
- 1/2 cup packed fine blanched almond flour
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour (do not pack)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (2.5 ounce) dark chocolate bar (at least 72%), coarsely chopped* (or about 1/3 cup chocolate chips)
- Fancy Maldon salt (or sea salt), for sprinkling on top
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, add peanut butter, melted and cooled coconut oil, coconut sugar, egg and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined, smooth and creamy.
Add in the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda and salt; mix with a wooden spoon until well combined. Fold in the chocolate chunks.
Use a cookie scoop to drop dough onto the prepared baking sheet, placing dough 2 inches apart. Bake for 9-12 minutes. As soon as cookies come out of the oven, sprinkle them with a little sea salt. Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing them. Makes 10 cookies.
*to make these dairy free, make sure to use dairy free or vegan chocolate.
I do not recommend using any other flours than what I have listed in the recipe. I have only tested as is. Oat flour may work okay for the coconut flour, but as mentioned I have not tested it.
See the full post for storing and freezing instructions.
Servings: 10 cookies
Serving size: 1 cookie
Saturated fat: 5.5g
This post was originally published on July 2nd, 2020, and republished on January 10th, 2022.