Learn how to grill chicken kabobs so they turn out juicy! This grilled Mediterranean chicken kabobs recipe is EASY, healthy, colorful, and cooks in 10-15 minutes.
Full ingredients + instructions are on the recipe card at the end. Before you scroll or jump down, don’t miss the useful tips in the post!
FREE: 5 SECRETS TO FAST HEALTHY DINNERS
GET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Learn how to grill chicken kabobs with this easy Mediterranean chicken kabobs recipe, PLUS 6 other flavor variations! Juicy chicken is marinated with simple, fresh herbs and spices, then cooked perfectly on the grill. These grilled chicken kabobs with vegetables make an easy, healthy main course that everyone will love for dinner.
If you love Mediterranean flavors, be sure to also try Mediterranean chicken, Mediterranean chicken salad, and surprisingly easy homemade gyro meat.
What Are Chicken Kabobs?
Chicken shish kabobs are pieces of chicken that are seasoned and grilled on skewers, often with vegetables. The best chicken kabobs will have a quick marinade and simple, fresh ingredients.
Why You’ll Love This Chicken Kabob Recipe
- Classic Mediterranean flavors
- Juicy chicken and tender vegetables
- Just 10 minutes to prep and 10-15 minutes to cook
- Very customizable
- Easy and healthy meal
Ingredients For Mediterranean Chicken Kabobs
This section explains how to choose ingredients for the best grilled chicken kabobs, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
Chicken & Vegetables:
- Chicken Breast – I use boneless skinless chicken breast, but you could also use chicken thighs if you like.
- Bell Peppers – I like to use a variety of colors, but use your favorites.
- Zucchini – Feel free to swap this for similar veggies, such as yellow squash or even eggplant.
- Red Onion – White or yellow onion will also work if you prefer.
Chicken Kabob Marinade:
- Olive Oil – Use extra virgin olive oil for best flavor. If you need to, you can still use regular olive oil or swap in avocado oil.
- Lemon Juice – Fresh squeezed is the best, and lemon is a must for Mediterranean chicken kabobs!
- Garlic – Fresh minced garlic has the best flavor, but the kind from a jar will work as well.
- Fresh Herbs – I used dill and parsley, perfect for summer! I highly recommend fresh, but if you must substitute dried herbs, replace each tablespoon of fresh herbs with a teaspoon of dried.
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper
How To Grill Chicken Kabobs
This section shows how to cook chicken kabobs on the grill with step-by-step photos and details about the technique. For full instructions, see the recipe card below.
- Prep chicken and vegetables. Cut all the meat and produce into 1.5 inch pieces. For zucchini, slice it into rounds.
TIP: Aim for pieces that are all the same size. This will ensure that they cook evenly.
- Mix chicken kabob marinade. Stir together olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, dill, parsley, sea salt, and black pepper.
- Thread chicken skewers. Skewer the chicken pieces and vegetables, alternating for variety.
TIP: Soak skewers. If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30-60 minutes before threading, to prevent them from burning.
- Marinate. Place skewers in a casserole dish and pour marinade on top. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, up to 24 hours.
- Grill. Place kabobs on the grill and close the lid. Grill, flipping once, until the chicken is cooked through. How long to cook chicken kabobs will vary depending on your grill and the size of the chicken pieces.
What Temperature To Grill Chicken Kabobs?
Cook the chicken skewers on the grill over medium-high heat, which is about 375 degrees F.
Use a precise meat thermometer to confirm that you cook the chicken to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
How Long To Grill Chicken Kabobs?
Chicken kabobs grill time will be about 5-8 minutes per side, over medium-high heat. The time can vary depending on the size of the chicken pieces and your exact grill temperature.
Variations Of Chicken Kabob Recipes
For some variety, try these other flavors for grilled chicken kabobs:
- Persian – Chicken, onions, red and green bell peppers. Swap the marinade seasonings with turmeric, saffron, and red pepper flakes.
- Italian – Chicken, onions, eggplant, mushrooms, and bell peppers. Replace the herbs in the seasoning with Italian seasoning.
- Teriyaki – Chicken, pineapple, onions, and bell peppers. Marinate in your favorite teriyaki sauce.
- Ranch – Chicken, zucchini, mushrooms, and bell peppers. Replace the herbs in the marinade with ranch seasoning mix.
- Cajun – Chicken, zucchini, yellow squash, and bell peppers. Marinate with Cajun seasoning.
- Fajita – Chicken, onions, and bell peppers. Use fajita seasoning in the marinade.
- To store: Store any leftover chicken kabobs in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- To meal prep: To make the kabobs for meal prep, simply cook and grill and store in the refrigerator. I like to place lunch-sized portions of the chicken and vegetables over cauliflower rice, in separate containers.
- To reheat: Reheat the chicken kabobs on the grill again, in a 350 degree F oven, or if you must, gently in the microwave.
- To freeze: It’s not recommended to freeze raw kabobs with marinade, because the chicken will end up mushy. But for cooked chicken and vegetables, you can freeze them for 2-3 months. Keep in mind that the veggie texture won’t be quite as good as fresh.
What To Serve With Chicken Kabobs
You don’t actually have to serve these barbecue chicken kabobs with anything, because they have both meat and vegetables, but if you want to add a healthy side, here are some ideas:
More Easy Grilled Main Courses
If you like this recipe for grilled chicken kabobs, you might also like some of these other easy grilling recipes:
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Grilled Mediterranean Chicken Kabobs With Vegetables
Learn how to grill chicken kabobs so they turn out juicy and flavorful! This grilled Mediterranean chicken kabobs recipe is EASY, healthy, colorful, and cooks in 10-15 minutes.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Marinating Time 30 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
If using bamboo skewers, soak them in water for 30-60 minutes before using them on the grill, to prevent burning.
In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, dill, parsley, sea salt, and black pepper. Set aside.
Thread the chicken and vegetables onto the skewers.
Add the kabobs to a casserole dish and pour marinade on top. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for a least 30 minutes.
Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
After the grill has preheated, put the chicken kabobs on the grill and close lid. Cook for 5-8 minutes per side, until the chicken is cooked through.
Serving size: 1 skewer
Amount per serving. Serving size in recipe notes above.
Total Carbs 8.9g
Net Carbs 6.5g
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!
Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂