Learn how to make the best authentic hummus. Creamy, rich, vegan and most important , delicious homemade hummus.
PREP TIME 2 Hours
WORK TIME 30 Minutes
RECIPE CUISINE Middle eastern
1½ cups Dry chickpeas
3/4 cup Tahini
1/3 cup Fresh lemon juice
1 tsp Baking soda
1½ tsp Salt
Olive oil (optional)
Cooked chickpeas (optional)
1. Pour the chickpeas over a large plate. Go over them and look for damaged grains or small stones.
2. Wash the chickpeas well few times, until the water is transparent. Place the chickpeas in a large bowl and fill with clean water so that the water is at least a 2-inch above the chickpeas. Soak them in clean water overnight in the fridge. Then, wash it and soak again in tap water for a few more hours. The chickpeas should double their size.
3. Drain the chick peas. Place them in a pot and fill with clean water, and add baking soda.
4. Bring the chickpeas to a boil and remove the foam. Once the water is boiling, lower the heat. Cook the chickpeas until they are very easily smashed when pressed between two fingers, about 1.5 hours. Cool the pot to room temperature.
5. remove the peels from the chickpeas (its optional but highly recommended for best results). Drain the chickpeas and keep the cooking water.
6. Place the chickpeas and 1/3 – 1/2 cup of cooking water to a food processor, process for 1-2 minutes. Add tahini, lemon juice, salt and process until smooth. Check the texture, If the humus is too thick, add more of the cooking water and process again until you get to desired consistency.
7. Plate the hummus, drizzle olive oil and sprinkle freshly chopped parsley, paprika or your favorite spices and toppings.