Nothing screams summer like prawns and mangoes.
So ingrained are they in Australia’s psyche as portents of the warmer months that you’ll be hard-pressed to find a festive table that doesn’t include at least one of these beloved ingredients.
Together, they’re amazing and when you add the crisp crunch of fennel you have a knockout salad that everyone will love.
Like what you see? Sign up to our bodyandsoul.com.au newsletter for more stories like this.
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, trimmed
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 200ml crème fraîche
- ¼ cup mint leaves, shredded
- 3 mangoes
- 100g baby rocket
- 4 green shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 Lebanese cucumbers, peeled into ribbons
- 1 bunch radish, washed, thinly sliced
- 1kg cooked medium prawns, peeled, deveined
- ¼ cup pistachio kernels, toasted, chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil & lemon wedges, to serve
- Use a mandolin to thinly slice the fennel into a large bowl. Pour over the lemon juice, season with salt and pepper and stir to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine the crème fraiche and mint and season. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Remove the cheeks from the mango. Carefully scoop out the flesh and slice it thinly.
- Drain the fennel.
- Combine the rocket and shallots and arrange the greens in a wreath shape on a large board or platter.
- Top with fennel, cucumber, radish, prawns and mango.
- Sprinkle with pistachio.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Serve with mint crème fraiche and lemon wedges.
Serve 6 as starter or 8 as a side
Prep time 20 min + 30 mins marinating
Any products featured in this article are selected by our editors, who don’t play favourites. If you buy something, we may get a cut of the sale. Learn more.