1 cup clarified butter
1/2 cup warm milk
2 1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon Kahk essence
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
1/4 teaspoon salt
Icing sugar, to garnish
– Preheat oven to 180˚C.
– Add the clarified butter and milk to the Kenwood bowl and combine using the K-beater on a medium speed.
– Sift the flour, baking powder and Kahk essence into another bowl and add the sesame seeds.
– Combine the flour mix with the butter mixture and knead for 5 minutes until smooth and combined.
– Shape the dough into walnut-size balls and slightly press into discs.
– Using a serrated pastry crimper, press a sun ray pattern into the top of each ball.
– Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden.
– Allow to cool and dust with a generous amount of icing sugar before serving.
Kahk essence is a powdered spice of anise, fennel and Mahlab.