Farro is a delicious grain that makes for an easy meal. This farro salad recipe is full of fresh Mediterranean flavors.
Juicy tomatoes, crisp cucumbers, onions, and feta cheese all tossed in a simple dressing with a favorite grain.
This dish can be made ahead of time and enjoyed as a meatless main dish, a great lunch or a hearty side.
FARRO Farro is a healthy whole grain that is similar in texture to barley. If farro isn’t available, this salad tastes great with almost any grain. Try quinoa, barley, or even bulgur wheat or wheat berries. Brown rice is also a good substitute.
VEGETABLES Fresh veggies including onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, give this salad color and crunch. Swap out the spinach for kale or even arugula.
DRESSING The dressing for farro salad is quick homemade dressing. Sub out your favorite bottled Greek or balsamic vinaigrette.
How to Make Farro Salad
Super easy to put together, farro salad can be ready (without chilling,) in half an hour!
- Cook farro per recipe below. While farro is cooking, prepare vegetables.
- Add dressing ingredients to a mason jar and shake to blend.
- Combine farro, vegetables, and dressing in a serving bowl. Cover and chill, then garnish and serve.
Make it a Meal
This farro salad is hearty and filling making it a great meal as is. If you’d like to top it with protein, try one of the following:
- This salad makes for amazing leftovers and will keep about 4 days.
- The tomatoes/cucumbers will soften slightly. If making this ahead, use small tomatoes and keep them whole.
- Add fresh herbs or fresh veggies when serving.
- This recipe does not freeze well. If you’d like to prepare ahead, cook extra farro and freeze it. Once thawed, you can add all of the remaining ingredients.
Did you enjoy this Mediterranean Farro Salad? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
This Farro Salad is crisp & colorful. Full of fresh veggies and hearty farro, this salad is sure to be a family favorite!
Place farro in a large pot of salted water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until farro is tender, about 14-16 minutes. Drain well and rinse with cold water.
While farro is cooking, prepare vegetables. Place all dressing ingredients in jar and shake well.
Combine cooled farro, dressing, and vegetables in a bowl. Toss well and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Garnish with feta cheese and serve chilled.
Leftover Farro Salad can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Calories: 342, Carbohydrates: 40g, Protein: 8g, Fat: 18g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 11mg, Sodium: 223mg, Potassium: 569mg, Fiber: 8g, Sugar: 6g, Vitamin A: 1718IU, Vitamin C: 28mg, Calcium: 103mg, Iron: 2mg
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
Keyword Farro Salad, Farro Salad recipe, how to make Mediterranean Farro Salad, Mediterranean Farro Salad