Stuffed Potatoes (Batata Mahshieh Bel-laham) is mostly made in the Levant, but other areas do their own form and style of batata Mahshieh. It is surely something your friends and family will love.
YIELDS 12 Servings
PREP TIME 1 hr 30 mins
COOK TIME 1 hr 45 mins
TOTAL TIME 3 hrs 15 mins
25 medium size potatoes
For the filling
3 tbsp vegetable oil
2 lbs ground beef
3 medium onions, finely chopped
1 ½ tbsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp allspice
3 tbsp parsley
For the potato core
Reserved potato core
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
For the sauce
6 cups water
1 tbsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
½ tsp allspice
0.70 oz powder chicken stock
For the lemon sauce
Juice of 2 lemons
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tbsp coriander, chopped
1. Wash and peel the potatoes.
2. Core out the middle portion of the potatoes and reserve the potato core. Place cored potatoes in cold water to prevent it from color changing.
3. Fry potatoes in vegetable oil until golden brown. Remove from the frying pan and set aside.
Prepare the filling
4. Place vegetable oil in a frying pan. Heat the oil.
5. Add the ground beef and cook over medium heat. Break the meat down while stirring.
6. Add chopped onion, salt, black pepper, and allspice. Cook on medium heat until the onions translucent. Remove from fire.
7. Add parsley and mix it with the filling.
8. Stuff the potatoes with the ground beef mixture.
Potato core preparation
9. Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the onion and saute until translucent. Add potato core, garlic, salt, and pepper. Saute for 10 minutes until the potato core is cooked.
10. Prepare a baking dish and spread the potato core in the bottom of the dish.
11. Arrange the stuffed potatoes in a single layer over the potatoes core mixture.
12. Combine all ingredients together in a blender until completely blended.
13. Pour the sauce over the potatoes. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour 45 Minutes on 375 F.
14. Mix ingredients and pour over the potatoes at the last 5 minutes. Cover with foil.
15. Serve hot with rice and enjoy.