What is the connection between gut health and skin health? Jennifer Fugo talks about beating chronic skin problems and unending gut challenges by discovering missing pieces and creating doable integrative plans.
You can find all the info and links about this episode at https://holisticwellness.ca/episode129.
Click here to listen on iTunes, Stitcher, or Spotify:
iTunes – Click Here
Stitcher – Click Here
Spotify – Click Here
Be sure to subscribe to this podcast on iTunes and leave us a rating and a review!
Topics Discussed in this Episode:
- Skin challenges and how they are connected to the gut
- Big triggers for chronic skin rashes and where hormones fall into the mix
- The importance of tracking the cycle of rash flares
- The estrogen-histamine connection
- How you can get H. pylori and the steps to healing an H. pylori infection
- The thyroid connection to skin rashes
- The problem with topical steroids
- What products to use for your skin problems and what to avoid
- Different gut infections that might be impacting your skin
- Dietary recommendations for eczema
- The 16 root causes of chronic skin rashes are the following:
- Microbiome dysbiosis
- Gut dysfunction
- Diet and food reactions
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Liver detoxification challenges
- Unmanaged stress
- Genetic implications
- Thyroid dysfunction
- Hormone imbalances.
- Drug reactions
- Mitochondrial dysfunction
- Heavy metals
- Environmental toxins
- Environmental allergies
- When we say microbiome dysbiosis, we’re not just talking about what goes on inside the gut but also what happens on the skin. We also have microbiomes in our mouth and in other areas of the body. An imbalance in one spot could be indicative of an imbalance someplace else. A lot of times, gut dysbiosis can drive skin dysbiosis.
- Gut dysfunction includes any irregularities in the body’s ability to digest and absorb food and eliminate waste properly.
- High levels of estrogen can cause a lot of histamine problems.
- When you apply topical steroids, it blunts your immune response, which can lead to more skin infections.
- Exposure to topical steroids can hijack your adrenal function and throw you in to what’s known as topical steroid withdrawal.
- Support your liver detoxification.
- Optimize your gut function.
- Make sure that you are pooping properly.
- Get checked for H. pylori.
- Consider removing fermented foods from your diet.
- Try supplementing with DAO (diamine oxidase).
- Go for products with very simple natural ingredients.
“I’m not saying you can’t DIY, but you also have to be realistic. If you’re struggling with a lot of different issues and your quality of life is really compromised at this point and it’s complex, that’s where you might want to ask for some help.”
“If you have a lot of pollen allergies, I’d really caution you against getting formulas that have a lot of essential oils in them.”
Thanks for listening!
Join our Healthy Hormones Monthly Recipe Club for $9 a month! Not only do you get the meal plan but also the Pumpkin Recipe Ebook and the Thanksgiving Guide.
Don’t forget to connect with me over on Instagram, @holisticwellnessfoodie. Let me know if there’s anything you’d love for me to expand on. It would also mean so much if you would leave us a rating or a review at any podcast platform that you’re listening to us on.
Links to things I talk about in the show:
- Download the Root Cause Skin Test eGuide at Skinterrupt
- Save 15% off ALL Organifi products at organifishop.com. Check out Organifi Immune to help support your body during the cold and flu season. Use code HEALTHYHORMONES for your 15% savings.
- Save 20% off ALL Alitura Naturals SkinCare at https://alituranaturals.com. The Clay Mask is the BEST!!
- Save 20% off Energybits Spirulina and Chlorella at energybits.com. Use code – HEALTHYHORMONES
- Save 15% storewide on LeesTea and LeesGhee (the pink chai is my absolute fav! and their maple ghee is amazing in coffee and perfect over roasted vegetables). Use code HEALTHYHORMONES – leesprovisions.com/healthyhormones
- Check out CANPREV products across Canadian Health Food Stores and online at Natures-Source.ca – I personally LOVE their MYCO10 and Collagen powder. They are great to add to smoothies and elixirs. Also check out their product ADRENAL CHILL for supporting the adrenal glands and helping your body better adapt to stress.
- Save 15% off your very first order on Naturamarket.ca – They carry the best health food products and they are my go-to source for all things delicious! A few brands that I order on the regular – nutpods, siete, lily’s chocolate, bobs red mill, simple mills and primal palate spices. You’re gonna LOVE shopping here. They only ship to Canada*. Use the code HEALTHYHORMONES and save 15%.
Where you can find Jennifer:
Jennifer’s Instagram (@jenniferfugo)
Where you can find me:
Healthy Hormones for Women Podcast Private Community on Facebook
How you can work with me: