This dessert is one of those things that looks very impressive and difficult yet is very easy to make. The perfect thing to serve guests you want to wow! It is light and delicious, and oh so easy to eat more than you should – don’t say we didn’t warn you!
This took us a couple of tries to get the perfect kashta to phyllo balance, and the perfect method to getting the kashta inside the phyllo. Here – we lay it all out for you! We hope you enjoy this lebanese cream filled pastry drizzled in simple syrup and topped with pistachios. It is irresistible.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 12-14 minutes
- 1 package Phyllo Paper
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1-1.5 recipe Kashta cream(depending on how much filling you desire)
- 1 recipe Simple Syrup
- Layer 8-10 phyllo papers (~1/2 package) and cut phyllo paper into 12 equal squares.
Tip: using a pizza cutter is easiest, and holding down the edges to ensure the phyllo paper doesn’t shift while you cut will give you a more even cut!
- Take each stacked square of phyllo paper, and dip entirely into melted butter, making sure to get both sides! Use a fork to fish the paper back out of the butter to avoid buttery fingers.
- Place onto baking sheet and fold over into a diamond shape, use a cannolli mold in the middle to keep space for cream filling.
Tip: Don’t have a cannolli mold? You can create spacers using tin foil. The idea is to create a cavity inside the phyllo to allow for kashta filling later.
- Repeat steps 1-3 with the remaining phyllo paper (other half of the package)
- Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown and allow to cool before proceeding to fill.
Tip: This can be done up to 2 days prior to eating and stored in an air tight container at room temperature!
- While shells are baking and cooling, prepare your kashta filling using our kashta recipe . Remember, you’ll need 1.5x the recipe for a full package of phyllo. Allow to cool before putting your dessert together! Remember, you can also prepare kashta a day or two ahead of time.
- Using a piping bag, pipe kashta cream directly into the open cavity of the phyllo paper, until completely filled. For best results, fill one side and then the other instead of piping into one side only.
Tip: Do this step immediately prior to serving to get the freshest results.
- Dip sides of the shaybiyet into ground pistachios (optional)
- Top with simple syrup and sprinkly ground pistachios and ENJOY!