Stuffed grape leaves dishes are very popular all over the middle eastern and Mediterranean countries. In some countries this dish called Dolma/Dolmathakia in some countries it’s called Warak Enab or sarma. There are many kinds of stuffings. In this recipe we going to make meat and rice stuffed grape leaves. Very rich and delicious dish that you can make on holidays and weekends for your friends and family.
PREP TIME 2 Hours
WORK TIME 30 Minutes
RECIPE CUISINE Middle eastern
1.5 pounds (700g) ground beef or lamb
1 jar grape leaves – about 60-70 leaves
1 cup uncooked rice
1 large onion
1/2 bunch freshly chopped parsley
1/4 bunch freshly chopped mint
1/4 bunch freshly chopped dill
1 tsp salt 1 tsp black pepper
3 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup water
1. Place the grape leaves in a bowl and pure hot water. Leave for 10 minutes. Drain and reserve
2. Finely chop parsley, mint, dill and onion.
3. Wash well the rise (until the water transparent)
4. In a large bowl place the beef or lamb, add the chopped herbs, onion, rice, olive oil, water, salt, pepper and mix well.
5. Lay each grape leaf flat on a work surface (shiny side down). Place about 1-2 tablespoons stuffing in middle of leaf and Fold both sides of the leaf towards the center, roll up from the broad bottom to the top
6. Layer rolled grape leaves in a pot, making sure to lay them close to each other. Place 4-5 lemon slices on top. Cover with heavy plate. Pour water to fully cover. Over high heat bring the water to a gentle boil. When the water is boiling reduce to medium-low and cover the pot. Simmer for about 1.5 hours. Check if ready. If needed and more water.
7. You can eat them hot, warm or cold. Enjoy!