It’s our third #MeatlessMonday meal of Earth Month and I’m SO excited to share this plant based magic with you.
I dreamt up these gorgeous curry chickpea salad wraps a couple of months back when I was craving fresh flavors and lots of crunchy veggies. These easy, vegan collard wraps were just the thing! I combined protein packed chickpeas with a rainbow of veggies, tossed them with my famous curry tahini dressing and wrapped it all together in a giant collard green leaf.
Double the veggies, double the fun!
Prep these beautiful wraps for a simple weekday lunch paired with your fav sides! May I suggest these paleo crackers? YUM.
What you’ll need to make these chickpea salad wraps
These vegan curry chickpea salad wraps use tons of fresh flavors and ingredients for an easy lunch or dinner you can feel good about. Here’s everything you’ll need to make them:
- For the chickpea salad: you’ll need a can of chickpeas, celery, shredded carrots, dried tart cherries, cilantro and some red onion.
- For the dressing: this tahini curry dressing is EVERYTHING. To make it you’ll need tahini, lemon juice, maple syrup, curry powder, fresh ginger, turmeric, garlic powder, cayenne pepper (if you like spice) and a little salt & pepper.
- For the wraps: you’re going to use four big collard green leaves, shredded red cabbage, some more cilantro and roasted cashews.
Customize your collard wraps
Because these chickpea collard wraps are mostly filled with colorful veggies, they’re also super easy to customize! Here are some suggestions:
- Choose your protein: these collard wraps would also be delicious with cooked, cubed tofu or even grilled chicken (if you’re not vegan).
- Change up your veggies: these wraps would also be delicious with bell pepper or very finely chopped brussels sprouts or broccoli.
- Use your fav dried fruit: I love dried cherries in this recipe, but dried cranberries, golden raisins or Medjool dates would all be delicious.
- Swap your dressing. If you’re not a big fan of curry flavor, this peanut dressing would also be delicious.
- Add some heat: I love adding a little spice to these chickpea salad wraps. Feel free to add some cayenne pepper to the dressing or even sliced jalapeño directly to the wraps!
Chickpea salad wraps in 5 easy steps
These vegan chickpea salad wraps couldn’t be easier to make. Here’s how to do it:
- Mix the salad. Start by mashing your chickpeas and mixing them together with the rest of those fresh salad ingredients.
- Make the dressing. Stir up that creamy tahini curry dressing until it’s nice and smooth.
- Combine, taste & adjust. Pour the dressing all over the chickpea salad and mix it well. Taste and add more salt & pepper if you’d like.
- Wrap your collard leaves. Prep your collard leaves, top each leaf with 1/4th of the chickpea salad and wrap them up. See exactly how to do this below and in the video!
- Slice & enjoy. Slice each collard wrap in half and enjoy!
Dress it and dip it
Okay, this curry tahini dressing is SO flavorful and addicting, so why not double it? Feel free to make a second batch of the dressing on the side for dipping! GENIUS.
Wrapping collard greens 101
Rolling up that giant collard green leaf may sound (and look) intimidating, but I’m here to walk you through it step-by-step:
Step 1: cut & shave down the stem
You’ll start by cutting the stem off of the collard green leaf and then carefully using your knife to shave it down so that it’s flat. This will help prevent the collard leaf from breaking at the end and make it easier to roll up.
Step 2: add your chickpea salad
Next, add 1/4th of the chickpea salad and the rest of the toppings to the middle-bottom of the collard wrap.
Step 3: roll that baby up
You’ll then carefully roll the collard wrap up just like you would with a burrito. Fold in the ends of the wrap as you go so that everything stays inside nice and snug.
Step 4: slice and eat
When you’re ready to enjoy it, slice your chickpea collard wrap in half and eat it up!
Store any leftover chickpea salad or chickpea salad wraps in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days. These collard wraps are perfect for meal prep!
More vegan lunches you’ll love
Get all of our amazing vegan recipes here!
I hope you love these delicious curry chickpea salad wraps! If you make them be sure to leave a comment & a rating so I know how you liked them. Enjoy, xo!
Vegan Curry Chickpea Salad Collard Wraps
Prep Time 30 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Beautiful vegan curry chickpea salad wraps loaded with rainbow veggies, protein-packed chickpeas, and a flavorful tahini curry dressing all wrapped in a fresh collard wrap. These fresh chickpea collard wraps make the perfect no cook, plant based lunch for busy weeks!
- For the wraps:
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot (from 1 medium carrot)
- 1/3 cup tart cherries (or sub chopped Medjool dates or dried cranberries)
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 2 tablespoons finely diced red onion
- For the tahini curry dressing:
- 3 tablespoons tahini (I like Soom Foods)
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- optional: 1/4 teaspoon cayenne for spicy curry flavor!
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Lots of freshly ground black pepper
- 1-3 tablespoons water to thin
- For the wraps:
- 4 large collard greens (get as big as you can!)
- ½ cup shredded red cabbage
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 1/4 cup roasted and salted cashews, roughly chopped
Add rinsed and drained chickpeas to a large bowl and use a masher or fork to mash most of the chickpeas. Add in diced celery, shredded carrot, tart cherries, cilantro and diced red onion.
In a separate bowl, make the dressing: add tahini, lemon juice, pure maple syrup, curry powder, grated ginger, turmeric, garlic powder, cayenne pepper (if using), salt and pepper. Add 1-3 tablespoons of water to thin until a nice creamy consistency. Mix to combine until a creamy dressing forms. Add more water if necessary. I found that somewhere between 2-3 tablespoons is perfect.
Add dressing to the chickpea salad. Stir to combine and coat all the ingredients with dressing. Taste and adjust as necessary. You may want to add more salt and/or pepper.
Place your collard green to a cutting board and cut off the large stems at the bottom. After that you’ll use a knife to thinly shave the remaining stem down so it’s thin and you can easily bend and roll the collard green.
Place a collard leaf on a plate and top with 1/4th of the chickpea salad. Top each with shredded red cabbage, 1 tablespoon of roasted cashews, and extra cilantro. Wrap up like a burrito, folding ends in as you go, then cut the wrap in half if desired and enjoy!
To store: store any leftover curry chickpea salad or full collard wraps in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days.
Servings: 4 servings
Serving size: 1 collard wrap
Saturated fat: 1.7g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by: Eat Love Eats