This healthy walnut muffin recipe with olive oil and honey is so easy and so good! They may become your new favorite quick homemade bread for everything from breakfast to dinner.
This easy recipe for walnut muffins is quickly becoming my go-to bread. With a pared down ingredient list and just a few pantry items, they come together in minutes.
And they include one of my favorite Mediterain-inspired flavor combinations – walnuts, olive oil, and honey.
This post includes affiliate links for your convenience. Please read my disclosure for more info.
They’re the perfect combination of sweet and nutty that works equally well with melted ghee and a drizzle of honey for breakfast, plain with a salad for lunch, or as a substitute for a dinner roll.
Here’s what you’ll need to make them
With just a few healthy ingredients, it’s easy to make these walnut muffins from scratch.
- Walnuts – chopped walnuts add the perfect nut bread texture.
- Olive oil – keeps the muffins moist. Use a good quality extra virgin olive oil for the best flavor.
- Honey – adds a hint of sweetness and helps activate the baking soda.
- Almond flour – using almond flour makes these muffins gluten-free. If you’re not used to baking with it, here’s the easy way to measure almond flour. Be sure to use fine blanched almond flour (like this one) for the best results.
- Eggs – provide the structure for the muffins.
- Apple cider vinegar – adds acidity and helps activate the baking soda.
- Baking soda – for leavening (makes the batter rise).
- Sea salt – use a finely ground sea salt (like this one) for baking.
These muffins are perfect and simple as is. But you can also change up the ingredients to make many different variations:
- Make cranberry walnut with the addition of dried cranberries
- Add dried cherries for a cherry walnut version
- Make chocolate walnut muffins with chocolate chips
- Swap maple syrup for the honey to make a maple walnut version
- Add cinnamon, or pumpkin spice, for a spice version
- Add chopped dates for a date walnut version
- Add a hint of citrus with lemon or orange zest
- Change the nuts for pecan or pistachio muffins
However you make them, you will love these simple Mediterranean-inspired muffins!
More easy healthy muffins to try: