We are no strangers to delicious salad recipes here at The Domestic Dietitian and this Winter Apple Brussels Sprout Salad is our newest obsession.
However, winter salads can be a bit tricky because traditional “salad” ingredients might not be in season. Buying seasonal produce not only tastes better since it’s picked at peak freshness, but it can also save money at the store.
Some winter produce that make great salad ingredients include –
- brussels sprouts
- winter citrus like grapefruit and mandarins
- winter squash
Mediterranean Diet Inspired Recipes
This delicious and hearty Winter Apple Brussels Sprout Salad definitely would be considered a Mediterranean diet recipe because –
- It’s plant based and filled with lots of great fruits and veggies
- Includes sliced almonds – a source of protein and healthy fats
- Pomegrantaes are a powerful antioxidant that can protect the body from harmful free radicals
- Uses an olive oil based vinaigrette as the dressing
- Focuses on seasonal ingredients
But most importantly, it’s easy (a must for us!), made with simple ingredients and completely customizable to ingredients you like. Don’t care for almonds – walnuts or pistachios would work great. Can’t find pomegranate seeds – dried cranberries, mandarin slices or even berries would be a good substitution. Don’t like Brussels sprouts – chopped kale, chard, spinach or arugula would be good too.
Winter Apple Brussels Sprout Salad Recipe
This recipe pulls together quickly but you could also prep the ingredients to create even quicker meals to grab and go.
A few tips if you are prepping in advance – don’t pour the dressing on until right before eating and if you are pre-cutting the apples try squeezing a little fresh lemon juice over the exposed slices to prevent them from turning brown.
You can use purchased pomegranate seeds or buy a whole pomegranate and remove the seeds yourself. Check out this handy How to Seed a Pomegranate post for more tips.
Winter Apple Brussels Sprout Salad
This winter, Mediterranean Diet inspired Brussels Sprout Salad recipe features sweet apples, crunchy almonds, and tart pomegranate seeds.
- 14 oz Shaved Brussels Sprouts (if you cannot find shaved brussels sprouts, you can purchase whole brussels sprouts and shave them using a grater)
- 2 medium Apples, chopped or sliced (you can remove the peel if you prefer)
- 1 cup Pomegranate seeds
- 1 cup Almonds, sliced
- 1/3 cup Pomegranate Dressing (see Pomegranate Dressing reicpe link in “notes”)
In a large bowl, combine the shaved brussels sprouts, chopped/sliced apples, pomegrante seeds, and almonds.
Drizzle with Pomegranate Dressing right before serving
Pomegranate Dressing Recipe
Note – you can also sub a simple Olive Oil Vinaigrette or Italian Salad Dressing
If you cannot find shaved Brussels sprouts, simple buy the whole version and use a cheese grater to carefully shave them
Check Out these Delicious Salad Recipes
If you are looking for even more great salad recipes, check out these great ideas –
Vibrant Walnut Raspberry Salad
Spicy Chopped Salad
Apple Spinach Salad with Sumac Dressing
Check out our Healthy Salad Board on Pinterest for hundreds more recipe ideas.
(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)