Yogurt Roasted Chicken Recipe – How to make roast chicken that’s marinated with yogurt overnight – with the video tutorial.
Yogurt Roasted Chicken Recipe
I’ve been making this yogurt roasted chicken at least once a week lately. It’s perfectly crisp on the outside and beautifully tender within.
The chicken tastes like it’s been BBQ’d or cooked on a rotisserie and my family just can’t get enough of it.
The recipe is adapted from a genius recipe in the essential (to me) cookbook Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat by Samin Norat. The original recipe uses buttermilk instead.
How To Make Yogurt Marinated Roast Chicken
Start by washing the chicken and placing it either in a ziploc bag large enough to hold the chicken, or a dish for marinating.
Pour over the yogurt and sprinkle over the salt. Use plain, natural, unflavored yogurt.
Toss the chicken to distribute the yogurt into every corner. Move the chicken to the fridge and marinate it for at least a few hours. Overnight is best for a perfectly succulent chicken.
When you’re ready to roast the chicken, preheat the oven to 220C/428F and line a baking tray with well greased baking foil or paper.
Remove the chicken from the fridge to come up to room temperature, then remove it from the marinade, scraping off as much yogurt as you can.
Move the chicken to the prepared baking tray, breast side up, with the legs pointing to the right.
Place the chicken into the preheated oven for 20 minutes, then reduce the heat to 200C/400F and cook for a further 10 minutes.
Then, simply remove the chicken from the oven, carefully swivel it so that the legs point to the left and place the chicken back into the oven to cook for a final 30 minutes or until crisp and done.
Yogurt Roast Chicken Recipe
- 1 Whole Chicken
- 2 Tablespoons Salt
- 2 Cups Plain/Natural Yogurt
- Wash the chicken and move it to a large ziploc bag or dish for marinating.
- Sprinkle the salt over the chicken.
- Pour the yogurt over the chicken and toss the chicken around to fully cover in the marinade.
- Place the chicken into the fridge for at least a few hours, or overnight for perfectly succulent, tender chicken.
- When ready to roast, preheat the oven to 220C/428F and line a baking tray with well greased baking foil or paper.
- Remove the chicken from the fridge to come up to room temperature, then remove it from the marinade, scraping off as much yogurt as you can.
- Move the chicken to the prepared baking tray, breast side up, with the legs pointing to the right.
- Place into the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Then, reduce the heat to 200C/400F and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven, carefully swivel the chicken so that the legs are pointing to the left.
- Place the chicken back into the oven for a final 30 minutes or until done.
- Remove from the oven, rest for a few minutes and then serve.
More Easy Chicken Recipes
Best Ever Chicken Bake
Low Carb Fried Chicken
Parmesan Chicken Nuggets
Recipe Video Tutorial
Here’s the video where you can watch the chicken being prepared, step by step. Hit play below or click here to watch on YouTube.
Subscribe to receive the FREE weekly newsletter, packed full of easy recipes and food inspiration plus exclusive, subscriber only content. Click here to Subscribe by Email.
Disclaimer – this post is meant for informational post only and should not be construed as medical advice. Please consult with your health professional before making any dietary changes.
Disclosure – this post contains affiliate links.