Straight from the mouth of chef Scotty: ‘Warning – this brownie is incredibly moreish’.
If you can stop at one, you have superpowers. With roasted and caramelised sweet potato, a hint of vanilla, a nutty texture thanks to fibre-packed almonds and the key ingredient of premium organic cacao, this crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside sweet potato brownie with chocolate-coconut ganache will give you a long-lasting blast of energy.
Don’t say we didn’t warn you.
Like what you see? Sign up to our bodyandsoul.com.au newsletter for more stories like this. And no, we promise we won’t spam you.
Helluva Brownie – Caramelised Sweet Potato Chocolate
- 300g sweet potato
- 15g coconut flour
- 10g baking powder
- 3g baking soda
- 25g of cacao powder (we love Black Gold)
- 105g coconut oil
- 160g maple syrup
- 3g vanilla paste
- 2 whole replacement eggs or 15g of ground flaxseed soaked in 20ml of water
- 25g chopped, roasted almonds
- 50g chopped chocolate (we love Black Gold Cacao buttons)
Chocolate coconut ganache ingredients:
- 50g chopped chocolate
- 25g coconut cream
- 10g hemp seeds
- Preheat the oven to 170c. Place the whole sweet potato into the oven (with skins on) and bake until cooked through and soft in the centre (this method of cooking sweet potato gives a great caramelised flavour)
- Wait until it cools and remove skin, then mash or blend until smooth
- Mix cacao powder, vanilla essence, melted coconut oil and maple syrup together into a large mixing bowl
- Add your replacement eggs
- Add in your mashed sweet potato puree
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix together coconut flour, baking powder and baking soda
- Fold this dry mix into your wet mix
- Add 25G of chopped almonds and 50G of chopped chocolate
How to make the ganache:
- Melt your chocolate in a bowl over hot water
- When melted, remove from heat and add coconut cream to thicken
- Once your brownie has cooked, allow to cool and cut into 6 rectangle pieces
- Spread over your chocolate coconut ganache on top of each slice of brownie
- Add a sprinkling of hemp seeds on top of your ganache
To finish the dish, Chef Scott recommends serving your brownie warm with vanilla coconut cream plant-based vanilla ice-cream and fresh berries of your choice
Scott Findlay is the Flave Chief Executive. Flave is located at 89 Hall St, Bondi, find out more about Flave here.
Any products featured in this article are selected by our editors, who don’t play favourites. If you buy something, we may get a cut of the sale. Learn more.